Who Can Help Me?

Your pediatrician is most likely the first professional person you will share concerns with if you suspect your child is developmentally delayed or has an Autism Spectrum Disorder (ASD).  The pediatrician may recommend further medical testing to rule out other conditions such as a hearing impairment, for example.

If your pediatrician suspects an ASD, he can recommend a professional who specializes in diagnosing ASDs. 

Other resources for finding a specialist include:

  1. School district or elementary school
  2. Hospital or medical center
  3. State agency (e.g., Department of Education or Agency of Human Services)
  4. University centers
  5. Your HMO (web site or helpline)

In addition, other types of doctors or medical specialists have experience diagnosing ASDs and may later become involved in treatment, including a developmental pediatrician, neurologist, psychiatrist, psychologist, and/or speech-language pathologist.